Thanksgiving Safety Tips For Your Pets!

Thanksgiving is a wonderful time of year. The weather is cooling down and the leaves are changing! During Thanksgiving families and friends gather to give thanks and share delicious meals! Many pets want to be involved in these festivities and it is our job to insure they stay healthy and happy! Over Thanksgiving people tend to be overly generous with their pets. Dogs and cats may be offered table food scraps or other food that they would not normally be privy to. Sometimes, however, too many treats can lead to injury or illness for our pets.

Below are some tips to keep your canine and feline companion safe and healthy!

Avoid fatty foods/unfamiliar foods: Foods that are high in fat, or unfamiliar food can lead to pancreatitis or gastroenteritis. Common symptoms include: – Vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, lethargy (quiet) and abdominal pain (often listlessness will be observed). These two medical conditions can be very serious and often require hospitalization. Keep your pet safe and do not feed unfamiliar food or food that is high in fat.

Maintain a normal diet and exercise schedule: It is important to keep your pets routine the same during the holidays. Feed your pet his/her regular diet and pet approved treats only. A disruption in his/her dietary routine can cause stomach upset, diarrhea and/or vomiting.

Do not feed your pet bones: Bones can become stuck in the gastrointestinal tract and require emergency surgery to remove. This can be life threatening.

Do not feed your pet onions: Onions are toxic to pets! Onions and onion powder (often found in stuffing) can destroy your pet’s red blood cells and cause a life-threatening anemia.

Do not feed your pet grapes/raisins: Grapes and raisins can contain a toxin that can cause kidney damage to both dogs and cats.

Do not feed your pet chocolate: Chocolate is toxic to cats and dogs. Never feed your pet chocolate or chocolate containing food. Ingestion of chocolate can be fatal.

Keep food wrappings away from pets: Many food wrappings are appealing to pets because they have food remnants on them. However, aluminum foil, wax paper and other food wrappings can cause intestinal obstruction if ingested. Make sure to place these items securely in the garbage.

Make sure your pet is allowed to have some quiet time: Make sure your pet has a quiet retreat should the holiday festivities be too much for him/her. Watch his/her behavior to make sure he is not stressed.

Keep the garbage secure! Keep an eye on the garbage and keep it securely fastened! If your pet gets into the garbage he/she could develop severe gastrointestinal upset, pancreatitis or even gastrointestinal obstruction.

If you have any questions or concerns please call us!

Although we love to see you and your pet, we hope the tips above will help prevent a visit to the hospital over the holiday!

Sincerely,

The Doctors & Staff at Fairfield Animal Hospital, Central Valley Vet Hospital & Westbank Animal Care Hospital

(The Interior Pet Health Group)